Sunday, October 18, 2009

Funky pies how I love you...

I recently noticed a few new additions at radical grocery and with little self control had to try both the new pies and brownies from Funky pies.

I chose the funky chunky pie on Anikee's suggestion, and did not regret it. It is a lot pricer than a la panella pie but absolutely delicious, with shitake mushrooms, potato and gravy. Now I hate the texture of mushrooms, but this reminded me a lot like mockmeat both in texture and taste, almost like a tuna flavour. It was just a shame that I had to share half of it with Mr T.

and of course I got a brownie:

Now these brownies are orgasmic, yes I know that's a big call, but it deserves it. I love desserts that are super rich, so rich that you almost can't finish it, not wimpy desserts that you end up wanting more with. And this was super rich and surprisingly gluten free. I could just feel my arteries filling up with oil and sugar in the best possible way.

It was seriously the BEST brownie that I had ever eaten, vegan or otherwise. So bad for you but so so so good.

I might have to stay away from Radical Grocery for a little while so I don't walk away buying the rest of them.

Do you like the on the move pictures? We were a little rushed and running late as per usual.

----------------

Btw, it appears that one of the new smiths chips flavour is vegan. All of the ingredients in the late night kebab chips appear to be vegan but it does say contain milk at the bottom, not sure if that was just standard on all of the 4 new flavours or if it was meant to refer to possibly containing traces of milk. I'm tempted to vote for it just based on the fact that it is only vegan one, because we need another vegan chip flavour, but I better try them and confirm their vegan status first.

8 comments:

Rose said...

That brownie does look good!
I checked out the new smiths flavour too, but not the late night kabab...i just assumed it would have some type of meatiness to it! I noticed some other Smiths ones say contian milk at the bottom, but the ingredients dont list any milk products...strange isnt it. Keeep us updated on them if you happen to find out anyway :)

Rose

Vicki said...

I am dying to try those pies! I might have to go in this week & get some.

Brownie looks good too.

Amy said...

I want funky pies!!! And brownies!!!! YUM!!

Cindy said...

Those pies are darn popular - we stopped by the Rad G today and they were all out (and will be for another week or two).

We did manage to snag a brownie, though. I'm not at all surprised that they're gluten free, there's not much room for filler flour when they're that choc-intense!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Those pies sound amazing, shitake mushroom, potato and gravy - awsome!

Johanna GGG said...

had my first visit to radical grocery last week and bought a brownie which was very very good - that pie sounds interesting too - though I am easily tempted to spend lots in such a shop so can't visit too often

nice to meet you at readings last week!

Theresa said...

Eating orgasmic food while driving is probably a bit dangerous! The pie and the brownie sound great.

Niki said...

Shame on me, I must be the only vegan in Melbourne who hasn't made it to Radical Grocery yet!

That pie might have convinced me though...